Friday, July 6, 2007

How Long Should A Reflexology Treatment Take?

People ask me all the time how long a reflexology treatment should take. My answer is: it depends upon the person and their needs. The more someone visits me AND the healthier their feet become, the less time it takes. As a general rule, the first visit is 45 minutes. This includes, greeting, warm-up, intent, and the patient leaving the room. As another general rule, you can do a superb job on both feet in about 30 minutes. So I schedule patients every 45 minutes and no one feels rushed.

One thing I learned when I go over the 30-minute mark is that you can over-stimulate the reflexes and undo your hard work. Better to work the feet one good time (reaching all reflexes once) and then use the rest of the time for relaxation techniques. At the end of each of my treatments I hold the Solar Plexus/Diaphragm reflex of both feet for 3 minutes. This allows the patient to truly relax at the end and forget about all that pain.

After a few treatments, the patients will crave for this ‘holding position’ and its’ relaxing benefits.

As an example of this, I worked on 5 patients in 3 hours and 15 minutes this morning.

Well, my lunch break is almost over; time to get back to work.

Doug Holland I.R.

No comments: