Friday, July 6, 2007

What Is Reflexology?

Reflexology is a unique modality in the health field. Reflexology is the applied pressure of the practitioners thumb and fingers to the patients feet and hands. This applied pressure (a form of acu pressure) clears crystals (possible calcium and uric acid mixtures) to unblock nerve impulses. Circulation is increased when fascia and bones are torqued and manipulated while congestion is naturally removed.

Something that cannot be proved scientifically but is theoretically possible is the reflex reaction to the pressure. What do I mean? A major theory (started by Eunice Ingham) say’s that when reflexes are struck (applied pressure) it can signal changes needed to the organ, gland or parts of the body it corresponds to. It may be some kind of signal like a TV or Radio wave or an electrical impulse that passes through tissue unabated. Only time and science will discover why it works so well.

Reflexology can be painful at first because of early congestion in the feet. However, after a few treatments the pain will subside and a deep relaxation will prevail.

The Reflexologist’s purpose is not to treat or diagnose for any specific medical disorder, but to promote better health and well being in the same way as an exercise or diet program. Its practice should not be compared to massage or any other kind of manipulative procedure. I have no doubt that reflexology works for I have been an eyewitness to the fact as regards myself and hundreds of patients.

I just want to make it perfectly clear that I do not purport to teach medical practice in any form; nor are the Reflexology methods I use intended to replace conventional medical treatment. I refer all patients to see physicians for medical reasons.

Example: I have a family member that lost their thyroid at age 18. All the reflexology in the world will not bring back the thyroid and medical assistance is needed. If a diagnosis is needed, then I send my patients to my stepdad who is a licensed Chiropractor. Then, if it is out of his scope, it goes on to my physician. But in most cases, I get to see people after they have been to every allopathic doctor and have had no relief.

It is sad to see some in the medical field try to discredit this wonderful modality for their own gain and dismiss the thousands of people who have truly benefited from this work. I know that I have seen over 25 doctors, over 50 nurses, a handful of neurosurgeons, dentists, massage therapist, chiropractors and many others who have personally seen the benefits of reflexology. So let the quack-watchers say what they will, we know the truth about health and they know the truth about money.

Doug

No comments: